Links

Saturday, April 3, 2010

2010 NCAA Final Four

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every few years, the NCAA Tournament sees the overall favorite go out early, which leads to other favorites taking notice, playing tight, and bowing out themselves. The ultimate example of this came in 2006, with George Mason in the Final Four, and the yet to be known Florida team winning the first of their two titles. This year is similar to that year, based on the facts that it's wide open amongst the teams, and that the winner will be unexpected. The thing is, all National Championships are recorded the same, which makes these years very intriguing. Next year, the Tournament will most likely be handed back to the chalky elitists because everybody will be on upset alert after this year. It's all cyclical.

Before we get on to my predictions for tonight's Final Four clashes, let me get a few things off my chest about a sore subject. Cue rant: The NCAA is one of the most poorly run organizations I have ever come across. Point blank, they are a bunch of greedy bastards. Does anybody realize they are on the brink of possibly ruining the most perfect thing in sports, and it's all because of money? Of course, I am speaking of their what now seems inevitable decision to expand the Tournament to 96 teams. I, for one, sure was pissed that Texas Tech wasn't given the opportunity to chase the title this year. Their extremely mediocre brand of basketball sure could've put a scare into 9th seeded Wake Forest this year. Nobody wants an NIT first round of games. Now we'll have teams playing an uneven amount of games, with 32 teams getting a bye. Kids will be missing more classes now (their excuse for not creating a College Football playoff). It will make filling out brackets more difficult (a wildly underrated part of March Madness). And, it greatly enhances the biggest flaw of College Basketball, the pointlessness of the regular season. But, hey, now they can add a few million on to their television contracts, so lets just accept this. I've heard people speak out against this, but I want serious action to be taken against the people in charge. End rant.

On to the picks...

Butler-Michigan State: One of the unlikeliest Final Four games that I can remember. Butler upsets Syracuse and Kansas State (more heartbreaking then KSU fans want to admit-they will NEVER have an easier game to reach the Final Four) to get here. Michigan State loses its best player in the second round and seemingly gets better without him. The Spartans bring the experience gained from last year's title game run. The Bulldogs bring a know-how to win, evidenced by a 24-game victorious streak. Things I love about Butler: Lil' Gordo Hayward's smoothness (yes I'm aware he's 6'9, doesn't change the fact that he's lil), Matt Howard's amazing moustache (the baddest stache this side of the Ladd household), Ronald Nored's on the ball D, and the do everything Willie Veasley. Things I love about Michigan State: Tom Izzo's Tournament dominance, Durrell Summers' dunk on my boy Stanley Robinson last year (Youtube it), Phat Magic, and Korie Lucious' stepupability. This game wasn't too tough for me to pick. There are rarely upsets in the Final Four, and despite what my bookie tells me, Butler winning would be an upset. I think the Spartans try to speed things up and overpower them with their rebounding and athleticism. Also, Michigan State has played something like twelve dome games in the last few years, while Butler has played none. Different depths, lots of people, too bright of lights.

Michigan State 71, Butler 60

Duke-West Virginia: The classic matchup of evil versus evil. Hard to find people that like Duke. Hard to find people that like Bob Huggins. This is the matchup many of us wanted in a regional final, including Huggy Bear and myself. The 'Neers bring a juco style team made up of all wing players. The Blue Devils bring the All-American lame-o attitude. Things I love about Duke: Zoubek's constant Wilhelm screams, Zoubek's beard, the ability to do the Zoltan sign from Dude Where's My Car for Zoubek's name, and for the fact that my brother called Duke-Purdue the worst college basketball game he's ever seen. Things I love about West Virginia: They are playing Duke, Da'Sean Butler's straight hardness, the size of Huggins' head (physically and symbolically), and the ability to type 'Neers. Unfortunately, I feel like this game will depend heavily on the officiating. I think the 'Neers have the ability to beat them up down low, but only if the game isn't called tight. If Duke is shooting to their capabilities, then they will be very difficult to beat. I always trust a tough team over a shooting team though, and consider West Virginia the favorite to win it all.

West Virginia 67, Duke 62

Dis Hirkness

No comments: