Links

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

2011 Kansas City Chiefs Draft Preview

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My publicist tells me the NFL Draft is tomorrow night. If you're feeling unprepared for it, don't worry, you're not alone. I blame it on the lack of Free Agency, which we'd normally be almost 2 months into by now. So since there has been no Free Agency, the Draft almost feels like it takes on a greater importance since no team's needs have been satisfied thus far. I'm really not sure what role Free Agency will play this year, however I have no interest in finding out because I refuse to follow the current lockout. But, to my knowledge, they have to have something because of all the players that aren't under contract right now. And that's the last you'll hear from me about the lockout.

Fortunately, the Chiefs have the added bonus this year of not being under tremendous financial pressure with their first pick (the first time since 2007). Thus, I've been able to sit back and relax, instead of studying Mel Kiper's browline (prominent) and Todd McShay's girth (lacking) on a daily basis. Honestly, I think my assessments will be more spot on this year, simply because I'll be avoiding over-analysis.

I noticed an interesting trend when studying the Kansas City Chiefs' recent first round draft history. If Tyson Jackson pans out, which I honestly think he will, I would argue they have hit on their last 8 first round picks. Hali, Bowe, Dorsey and Berry are the headliners. Some people aren't as high on Albert as I am. Derrick Johnson is atleast solid and definitely not a bust. Larry Johnson may be one of your least favorite Chiefs of all time, but he work-horsed his worth. Ty Jax is the question mark, but I can't get the images of his fiery play against Baltimore out of my head. I think he's due for a breakout year in 2011. How many other teams can make that claim though? With absolutely no research completed, I'd guess none, and couldn't see anymore than two. So throw away any doubts you had about this franchise's ability to draft good players (and I do feel like they have a somewhat undeserved poor reputation in that department).

Lets start with a positions of need list for the Chiefs since I have yet to throw one out this offseason:

Big 3 (positions that MUST be addressed)
1. Outside Linebacker - The most important position on defense (in the 3-4) has a vacant spot left behind (played by Mike Vrabel's corpse last season). Unlike last year (when there were no prospects worthy of our #1), there are a handful of prospects the Chiefs could select at 21.
2. Wide Receiver - The biggest hole on the roster (Studebaker is decent at OLB). I would like to see them add two weapons to Cassel's arsenal this offseason. While I hope they draft one, my hunch on the other just received good news with Steve Smith having previously demanding a trade from the Panthers. Given that artillery, Cassel is forced into something of a put-up or shut-up type season (a good thing).
3. Nose Tackle - A position that really hasn't been fulfilled since switching to the 3-4. The run defense was held together with smoke and mirrors through the first half of 2010, but fell apart the latter half. Yanno those trucks with Oversize Load signs on them? We need someone to hang that sign on in the middle of our defense.

Secondary 6 (would be nice to address these positions)
4. Center - Casey Wiegmann was good but you can't think he won't decline atleast a little bit this year (he's getting a little long in the tooth). It would be nice to fill this undervalued position with a youngling for the next 15 years.
5-6. Offensive Tackle/Inside Linebacker - Both positions have one solid starter (Albert, DJ) and one iffy starter (Richardson, Belcher). I like both of these players, but both could be improved upon. While Belcher is better right now, Richardson has a better chance to improve.
7. Backup QB - Every night before I go to bed, I pray to Lord Lebowski that the Crodie Broyle era is over in Kansas City. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Chiefs snag a QB in the 2nd round (I prefer Mallett) or later (I'm seeing lots of Ricky Stanzi from Iowa).
8. Fullback - Yet to replace Tony Richardson. Maybe we should get Tony Richardson. Or Stanley Havili, USC.
9. Safety - People are way more sold on Kendrick Lewis than I am at this point. While he is young, people too often mistake playing as a youngster with showing great potential. Doesn't always work out that way. Oh yeah, and Jon McGraw.

Now lets take a look at who I think the Chiefs are most likely to select with their first round pick come tomorrow night...

1. (WAS #6) Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona - Stock is high right now because he can match Clay Matthews in the flowing locks department. Lacks great athletic ability, but has a high motor. But hey, long hairs are so hot right now. Count me in. Grade ~ B

2. (WAS #1) Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin - Keep hearing this name pop up and I must say I'm quite impressed. Won the Outland Trophy last year (best interior lineman). He was a unanimous All-American. Captain at Wisconsin (well documented how the Chiefs like that). And nicknamed "The Jewish Hammer." Alright, alright. Not crazy about the position grab, but I like him the best. Projects as a Right Tackle despite starting 49 of his career 52 games at Left Tackle. Grade ~ B+

3 (WAS #3). Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA - Played more of a natural stand up LB position at UCLA so he never really put up the sack numbers (career high 6 in 2009). More of a coverage LB than a pass rusher (although flashes the ability to do so when watching his highlights). Seems to have great instincts. Makes plays. However, I'm skeptical at putting an inexperienced pass rusher in a position to constantly rush the passer. Grade ~ C+


4. (WAS #5) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado - Another potential Right Tackle. Every year the NFL Draft analysts say we need to upgrade the offensive line, but I'm not sure if the KC brass agrees with that sentiment. Solder stands a monstrous 6'8 and has a boring Wikipedia page. Grade ~ C+


5. (WAS #9) Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland - Have yet to see anybody with Smith being drafted this high. This pick becomes increasingly more likely if the Chiefs are able to trade down, which we haven't seen the Chiefs do yet under Pioli, but the Patriots are famous for it. He was an excellent returner his first two years, but concentrated on receiving more in 2010. Has the top end speed the Chiefs should be coveting opposite D-Bowe. Grade ~ B-


6. (WAS #4) Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor - Was everybody's mockulation for the Chiefs until word spread about an irreparable foot condition. That concerns me, but so does never noticing this guy despite watching a handful of Baylor games last year. Although there is something intriguing about a player who's last name  rhymes with his alma mater. Grade ~ C-

7. (WAS #7) Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue / Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri - Both of these pass rushing LB's would be ideal, however both will most likely be off the board by the time the Chiefs pick at 21. Grade ~ A


8. (WAS #2) Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia - Different than other projected 3-4 OLB's because he actually played in the 3-4 defense in college. Earned All-SEC honors as well as a finalist for the Butkus (best LB) and Nagurski (best DL/LB) awards last year, when he tallied 10 sacks. Would probably be considered a bit of a reach, but ultimately fills the Chiefs' biggest need. [EDIT: Apparently, just came out that Houston failed a drug test. Drop him 3-4 spots on this list then.] Grade ~ B+

9. (WAS #8) Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida - Should send half of his signing bonus to his brother, who excelled with the Steelers as a rookie last year. I'm all for taking a Center early on, but wasn't this the guy that had like 13 bad snaps in Florida's first game of the year? Red flag. Plus, if he plays Guard, we don't need him. Grade ~ C

10. (WAS #10) Marvin Austin, DE, North Carolina - One of the Tarheels that was suspended for the entire 2010 season. Was considered a top prospect until that suspension, now just considered risky. However, this dude is an animal. He's a wildebeest. He's huge and he can run. Probably not big enough to play Nose Tackle, but if you love him, you can never have enough defensive linemen. And I love him. Grade ~ B+

More to come with the Draft beginning Thursday but extending through the weekend.

NEW PLAYERS

Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama - The Chiefs might want to strengthen a strength and give themselves the best 1-2 punch at RB in the NFL. It wouldn't shock me to see them take the former Heisman winner if he slides. He would be the ideal compliment to Jamaal Charles' running style, and you know they're set on keeping Charles's legs fresh. They may believe Thomas Jones is done. Grade ~ A-

Danny Watkins, G, Baylor - Wow. Mike Mayock of NFL Network has the Chiefs taking this clown. No matter if we're already 3 deep at Guard (Waters, Lilja, Asamoah), or that Watkins will be 27 years old by the time the season starts. If this is the pick, expect a devastated Dirkness detonation document. Grade ~ F

Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St - Another Offensive Tackle possibility. Blah. Grade ~ C

Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame - Got some comments on Arrowhead Pride from people that wanted to take this guy. I was flabbergasted, dumbfounded, maybe even bamboozled. He had all of 328 receiving yards last year. But that was in half a season they tell me. Oh, so he has injury concerns too? Alright! Grade ~ G

Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple - Appears to be a physical freak that some people love. I don't know much about him, but don't like the position at all, where he seems to project perfectly as a 3-4 DE. If we take him it's because we absolutely love him. Grade ~ C+

Julio Jones, WR, Alabama - There are rumors spreading that the Chiefs love Jones and might look to move up if he slides past 12 or so. This is my ideal selection for the Chiefs, and would have no problem giving up a 3rd rounder to move up and choose him (could get us up around 16 or so). He's got the speed and downfield threatability that we need opposite D-Bowe. Grade ~ A+

Dirkness

5 comments:

His Dirkness said...

I'm catching word of Kyle Rudolph, a Tight End from Notre Dame, potentially being the Chiefs first pick. Presumably, this is because Pioli has a history of drafting Tight Ends at New England.

I must say if the Chiefs draft a tight end in the first round after snagging Moeaki last year, I will be pretty livid. Especially, since I've never heard of him. Don't bring that shit.

Hd

The_DQ said...

Gabe Carmi

Is a good pick. A lot of people think this is stupid but I say go for Mark Ingram if he is available. Exactly what the chiefs need. Someone to replace Thomas Jones. I think we can get a good OT in the third round and pick up a OLB in the 2nd and WR in the fourth. Anyways, I really want Ryan Kerrigan but i dont think he will be available.

Anonymous said...

Great Gatsby! Good article. I would be pretty confused if we drafted a tight end...we don't need one. I'm all for drafting a monster nose tackle if one is available at that time. Fast outside linebacker that can replace Vrabel would be nice. I'm rooting for us to take a QB at some point just so we can get the stench of Crodie Broyle's win repellent off of our franchise. Larry did some work for us, but was a huge d-bag...Crodie on the other hand has done nada. Well that is all for now.

Dr. Zaveous

Anonymous said...

Great Gatsby! Good article. I would be pretty confused if we drafted a tight end...we don't need one. I'm all for drafting a monster nose tackle if one is available at that time. Fast outside linebacker that can replace Vrabel would be nice. I'm rooting for us to take a QB at some point just so we can get the stench of Crodie Broyle's win repellent off of our franchise. Larry did some work for us, but was a huge d-bag...Crodie on the other hand has done nada. Well that is all for now.

Dr. Zaveous

His Dirkness said...

A comment so nice, he said it twice.

I wouldn't be opposed to Ingram since I don't love anybody in the first round, but I'd rather snag up Daniel Thomas in the 3rd round if he's available.

Thanks yall

Hd